09 April, 2009

Senseless

I need to take a moment and relax on all the negative things I've said about the Anaheim (I still refuse to call them their "official" name) Angels in recent posts. If you haven't heard, their top prospect and starting pitcher Nick Adenhart was killed early this morning in an accident not far from Angel stadium. He had just pitched 5 innings and was pretty spectacular, giving Angel fans a glimpse of what they'll be able to watch for the next 10 years. Unfortunately and senselessly, on his way from the ballpark just after midnight a drunk driver ran a red light and T-boned the car he was a passenger in. 3 of the 4 kids in the car died and the 4th is in intensive care. Many Angel fans were at the scene of the accident this morning around 8am paying respect and even more showed up at Angel stadium and made a make-shift memorial.
I've bashed Angel fans and the organization pretty much since my arrival in SoCal nearly 7 years ago. I'm gonna take it easy for now on after watching various news reports with fans and seeing the press conference in which everyone was brought to tears with their emotions. From manager Mike Scioscia to Adenhart's agent Scott Boras, all were overcome with emotion. The game was understandably cancelled and play will resume Friday with one more Angel fan watching from above.

This brings me to my next topic of idiots and DUI's. The punk ass who hit, and RAN, was only 22 AND already had a suspended license for a prior DUI offense not long ago. That's right, I said ran. This dude hits 4 people and another car, whose driver was not hurt, gets out of his minivan and starts running away! Coward. A full blown, piece of shit Coward. No one that was killed was over 25. There's gotta be a better way to punish people who are accused of DUI. I know for a fact, that here in CA if you get convicted of a DUI all you have to do is attend some AA classes do community service and pay a fine and you're done. License back and you're good to go. I know you can't really stop people from driving if their license is suspended, but there's gotta be a tougher penalty so these idiots think twice about it.

Sorry for the "debbie downer" post today, but it's just a shot in the arm of reality for us all. You never know when it's gonna come. Hopefully later than sooner. Just live one day at a time and appreciate what you have. Do something nice for someone and smile. Enjoy the simple things, like running on the beach! Anyway, I'm out. All positive stuff tomorrow...I promise!

BYE!!

No comments: